sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] peer request for pgp.uplinklabs.net

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] peer request for pgp.uplinklabs.net
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:14:01 +0100

I'm sceptical of the utility of ECC keys personally. They were first proposed
as a way of reducing work and storage space (because the space of usable ECC
keys is more compact than the sparsely distributed RSA primes). But they've
taken so long to catch on that technology advancement has made their original
justification largely irrelevant (the only exception to my knowledge being
DNSSEC, where signature length restrictions are still important). And because
the ECC keyspace is more efficiently packed, it is theoretically *more*
susceptible to quantum attacks.

It's notable that the NSA no longer recommends ECC keys. Personally, I'm
sticking to RSA until post-quantum encryption is ready. :-)