sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] heads-up: another attack tool, using SKS as FS

From: Ryan Hunt
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] heads-up: another attack tool, using SKS as FS
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 21:22:33 -0600

IMHO Photo-ID should be dropped entirely, I see no point and its just ripe for abuse like this.. We should not be relying on that w/cryptography.. If I’m going to sign your key and validate I know you then I should be validating your the holder of that private key with an exchange first (much like I am proposing with adding your key to SKS network).. then really what does it matter what image is stored with the public key after that since the private key holder could manipulate that. Honestly it was eons ago when I last went to a key signing, but the few I did go to back in my College days never required a photo in the public key.

-Ryan

On Jul 13, 2018, at 9:01 PM, Tom at FlowCrypt <address@hidden> wrote:

> that would probably be an incomplete mitigation:

Sounds better than no solution!

> -people can use the photo id field instead

Size limit can be enforced.

> -people can use valid e-mail addresses under an own domain ("catch-all")

As long as it can validate, seems fine to me. Better than no verification.

> -your keyserver suddenly can be abused for email spamming

Any online service that allows registrations can be abused for email spamming, if you consider registration emails an "email spam".

--------

Another limitation: you cannot apply the email verification process to the recon algo, because the user would get flooded with verification emails. That means you could have a malicious SKS implementation flooding others with non-verified emails. Again, not perfect, but a good start.

that would probably be an incomplete mitigation:

-people can use the photo id field instead
-people can use valid e-mail addresses under an own domain ("catch-all")
-your keyserver suddenly can be abused for email spamming

Best regards
Tobias Frei