sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Withdrawal of Service - keys.flanga.io

From: Moritz Wirth
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Withdrawal of Service - keys.flanga.io
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 01:38:28 +0100

Also some personal words - this is not meant to judge or criticize
anyone but rather to express my own feelings and opinions about SKS
within the last months.

- The fact that most (all?) vulnerabilities inside SKS are known for a
very long time and have not been fixed is deeply concerning - for
example I really don't see any reason how a reasonable size limit of a
single key would have censored anybody - but it would have prevented
many keyservers from constantly becoming unresponsive as well as high
traffic and resource consumption (we spent 2.4 TB on peering over the
last 2 months). Just ignoring it because it still works somehow is
frustrating at best and desasterours at worst.
- GDPR is not really a new thing and it was already in place 2 years
before it actually became relevant. Instead of waiting until someone
uploads data relevant enough to get it removeed by a court, a simple
remove list would not have been a big deal.
- keys.flanga.io got kicked out of the pool around 3-4 months ago - the
initial response to this was about some missing Header files - my
request to check again was simply not answered. As I found out, it was
excluded due to "unrecognized server version" - it is true that we were
running our own implementation for a while - however this was not the
case for keys.flanga.io. Kicking it out is one thing (and comitting that
change 2 months later so I was finally able to see why), not responding
instead of resolving the issue is another - but no offense (we all
forget things :) ).
- Though SKS keyservers are not meant to be trusted, people still trust
in the reliability of it as a service. Therefore, it should be operated
and handled in that way - a roundrobin that is checked and updated every
hour when all 5 keyservers can be killed within seconds is not something
that I would consider reliable.

Best Regards,