slipstream-devel

[Slipstream-devel] Loose ends for Slipstream 0.2

From: Dimitris Papavasiliou
Subject: [Slipstream-devel] Loose ends for Slipstream 0.2
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 16:28:25 +0200

Hey Simon,

Before starting work on motorcycle and rider models for Slipstream,
which looks like it will get a wee bit complicated, it would probably
be a good idea to make a release first.  For one thing a lot of
essential things have changed since 0.1 and besides, it will be good
for publicity too. :)  So I'm starting this thread to gather any loose
ends in the currently implemented functionality.  I'll start with what
I can remember, feel free to chime in as you actually use Slipstream a
lot more than I do.

*  Make sure replays work on the same system on when exported to other
systems.  I had trouble running your last long replay as there was
large error buildup.  The thing is that I can't be sure whether this
is an inherent flaw in the code or whether it's just a matter of
version mismatch between our setups.  I may have made small changes to
the model since the time you exported the replay.  This perhaps needs
to be addressed somehow, if there's a relatively simple way of
checking replay compatibility and informing the user.  In the mean
time we'll have to try again when the physics model stabilizes.

*  Make sure the lap time table at the end of a session works
correctly.  I never got round to testing that and your experience
indicates it is, in fact, not working.

*  Draw some sort of ground plane for the test track.  This got lost
when the track/elevation model changed.

*  Maybe finish implementation of the new transmission model if it
doesn't get too complicated.

*  Try fixing the rider model to properly interact with the steering
stem on wobbles etc, again if it doesn't get too complicated.

*  Take care of the remaining issues in the bug tracker (what can
currently be fixed at least).

That's all I can think of right now.   Let me know if you find something else.

D.