smc-devel

[smc-devel] Re: javascript indic renderer and community portals

From: Alok Kumar
Subject: [smc-devel] Re: javascript indic renderer and community portals
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 07:27:28 +0100 (BST)

>    We see a lot of community portals coming up these days based on
> CMS like *nuke. But one of these CMS supports Indic. Also we dont see
> any community discussion boards in Indian languages (Pls correct me).

Well, not exactly a discussion board, but a mailing list.

Wonder if you have seen this(doesn't need applents but is of course still not
the perfect input method):
http://www.wandel.subnet.dk/hindi.html

> Some issues I see are:
>
>  - There is no indic(Unicode/Non unicode) support in most platforms.

Something about the social aspect of using Indic scripts on the web: While
these are valid points, the browsers most people use do support unicode.(all
right flame me but face the truth first!) Unless the existing users, who use
English, start using Indic languages in mailing lists and boards, users who
don't know English very well are not going to get much encouragement either.
Developing a user base is crucial because that's where future developers would
emerge from.

>  - Most browsers doesnt support unicode.
I think most of them do, thanks to CJKV. What they *don't* support is indic
script rendering.

> Arun.
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/png name=Screenshot.png

=====
Contribute to http://indic-computing.sourceforge.net
+91-80-653-8200
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-bangalore-hindi/