Re: [Social-discuss] Protocol

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Protocol
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 23:29:26 +0200

2010/6/1 Pepijn de Vos <address@hidden>
Hi,

Here is one more of my random questions.

I have still absolutely no idea what everyone is working on and which protocol is most likely to catch on.

The official GNU Social team, have hooked up with the folks at status.net for the next phase of work.  This is a development that has been formalized in the last week, with code being assigned to the FSF.  The list for that project is:

There's are a few other projects also going on, that are not official GNU Social projects, but have been discussed historically on this list.

The folks at lorea.cc have been working on a federation project for elgg, something I've also contributed to, and am about to help test.  I'd hope to be able to demo something later in the year, and would be open to assigning my code to GNU / the FSF, is it's considered to be of value.

If I where to write a social client, server or service, which protocol would be wise to use?

OStatus, which is a set of (HTTP) protocols used by status.net has been selected for the next phase of GNU Social.

I'm also considering support for OStatus in my work, but I'm currently unclear whether this is a free (as in freedom) set of protocols, that I can use modify, and improve, or whether there are non-free elements/restrictions, in place, such as patent non assertion restrictions.  On establishing these details, i'll consider support for OStatus, for the I build.  I'm leaning towards implementing support for it right now, so that anything I create can be compatible/interoperable with GNU Social first release.

There's a bunch of other folk that have been discussing many different ideas also historically on this list.

I'm not sure what the status of the two lists are going forward, now that GNU Social is starting on implementation.

It would be nice if the people that had gathered hear could keep in touch, maybe on this list or at a new home ...

Groeten,
Pepijn de Vos
--
Sent from my iPod Shuffle