Re: [Social-discuss] Adoption dynamics (and why your intuition fails)

From: Odin Omdal Hørthe
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Adoption dynamics (and why your intuition fails)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 23:12:53 +0200

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Rob Myers <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 19:57:57 -0700, Jason Self <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Being decentralized and caring about your data and privacy is *not
>>> enough on
>>> it's own*. You won't just magically switch thereto.
>>
>> I am, and for those reasons.
>
> This is a GNU software project, so its reason for being is the freedom of
> its users.
>
> That's enough reason for us to make it, and it will be enough for people
> who care about their freedom to use software to adopt it.
>
> Facebook is educating people about the problems that centralized Web 2.0
> services have for data ownership, privacy and control, and this is being
> covered by the mass media and mainstream press. Many people do see this as
> a problem, and they are looking for a solution.

Well, obviously all of us on this list agree to that and will use it
for those reasons. But getting wide press coverage and thus actually
getting also the non-tech savvy people into will actually make it what
we use in the future.

If it's just us geeks, it's not what I think many of us really want
with this. :-)

But anyway, that doesn't really change much of what's being done here.
Only that, yes, it's a good idea to also think about other sides of
the project because without a big base of users it won't actually be
usable.

It's like Jabber was before when I started using it, I had 3 people I
didn't know there, and a friend I seldom talked to. I never used it
and continued using MSN for a few years. Then I strongarmed a few of
my closest friends into using Jabber, and now I can use it all the
time. Of course, Gmail really helped enormously with the Jabber user
base. :-)

Regards
Odin Hørthe Omdal <address@hidden>
On vacation in California till august