Re: [Social-discuss] Announcing P2P GNU Social

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Announcing P2P GNU Social
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:45:13 -0400

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 12:00 +0900, B. Kip wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Ted Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>         On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 11:21 +0900, B. Kip wrote:
>         > Still trying to understand this in detail:
>         >
>         > On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Blaine Cook
>         <address@hidden> wrote:
>         >         On 10 July 2010 13:26, Ted Smith <address@hidden>
>         wrote:
>         >         > It means that if your server (to be precise, your
>         >         > core) is cracked, or subpoenaed by the
>         MAFIAA/ACTA-Empowered
>         >         Sharing
>         >         > Police, it can give up no data that you haven't
>         already
>         >         decided is
>         >         > public.
>         >         >
>         >         > I don't think that StatusNet GNU Social makes that
>         >         guarantee, even when
>         >         > it comes to private messaging. I would be very
>         happy to be
>         >         wrong.
>         >
>         >
>         >         It doesn't, though servers are free to encrypt the
>         data before
>         >         and/or
>         >         after it's sent. The same applies for email. Two
>         thoughts:
>         >
>         >         1. I welcome experiments using P2P networks for
>         social
>         >         networks, but
>         >         consider the human-level usability concerns. No
>         matter what
>         >         the
>         >         underlying technology is, you need a human-level
>         addressing
>         >         system
>         >         (the acid test for a good addressing scheme is the
>         ability for
>         >         one
>         >         person to be able to write down on a scrap of paper
>         an address
>         >         at
>         >         which someone else can contact them later). If you
>         use
>         >         webfinger (re:
>         >         email-like addresses), you can maintain
>         compatibility with
>         >         mainline
>         >         GNU Social, Status.net, Diaspora (i.e., OStatus),
>         and Google
>         >         Buzz
>         >         while providing forwards-compatibility to stronger
>         >         privacy-based
>         >         networks*.
>         >
>         > From: GNU social - Privatemessaging - Open wiki - Gitorious
>         > http://gitorious.org/social/pages/Privatemessaging:
>         >               * If Bob hasn’t authenticated against Alice’s
>         server,
>         >                 then Bob’s server goes through the Webfinger
>         auth
> [...]

If you did that, you'd have P2P GNU Social. The UI is the browser plugin
or standalone application, and the core is what hosts your data and does
routing. Even if you ran your own core, and it was subject to the same
"churn" pattern (of uptime and downtime) as your UI, most of your data
should be mirrored - even your private data can be mirrored, because it
is protected by strong cryptography and it will only be decrypted on a
CPU you control (assuming you're picking your CPUs wisely).

Ideally, it won't be difficult to migrate from StatusNet GNU Social to
P2P GNU Social - it would just be an interface change. Most ideally, it
would mean installing a plugin.