Re: [Social-discuss] FooPlug -- GNU social on a plug computer

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] FooPlug -- GNU social on a plug computer
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:11:22 -0400

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 18:39 -0700, Jason Self wrote:
> Thomas Cort wrote...
> >
> > I live in Gatineau, Québec, Canada, and the Terms of Service for the
> > ISPs in my area prohibit residential/home users from running servers.
> > Is anyone doing anything on this front? Either coming up with a way to
> > securely push data to a server somewhere out on the net or trying to
> > persuade ISPs to loosen their Terms of Service?
>
> Change plans with your ISP, or change your ISP.
>
> I have a "business" account with my ISP, and they let my run my servers from
> my
> home. Sure, it costs me about twice as much as it otherwise would but we're
> talking about freedom & autonomy here.

Not everyone has the ability to double their Internet costs. Freedom &
autonomy for the rich only is not freedom or autonomy.

I think the best way to deal with such policies is through massive
disobedience campaigns, and where possible, implementing local resilient
networks outside the control of any authoritarian entity (such as a
state or capitalist). It doesn't seem like OStatus is a protocol
well-designed for this - or at least, the way it's currently implemented
in StatusNet now.

Hopefully in the future, there will be some support for protocol-level
encryption in the same manner as implemented in most BitTorrent clients
now. I wonder if Diaspora has considered this, since they are running
right up against this common ISP policy.