[Social-discuss] Bug report: Twitter integration

From: Anders Bateva
Subject: [Social-discuss] Bug report: Twitter integration
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 23:43:56 -0200

Hello. I noticed that my second quip on https://quitter.se/andersbateva after turning on the forward of messages to Twitter wasn't forwarded to https://twitter.com/andersbateva . I don't want to create an account on the bug tracker just to report 1 bug, so, here I am.

The quip is this one: https://quitter.se/notice/9211658
SUCESSO!
Então, a partir de agora, os posts serão divulgados no Quitter.se (GNU Social), e este servidor encaminhará para o Twitter.com
The character count says there are 5 characters left, on GNU Social. So, the quip happened.

But, on Twitter, the same message has "-7" on the character count when I paste it. Removing the "m" of ".com" makes the count go to "6" characters left, and the "Twitter.co" unlinks. So, I deduce Twitter adds "http://" on it's own URL on the tweet, making it impossible for the tweet to occur.

If I change "Twitter.com" to "Twitter.se", and "Quitter.se" to "Quitter.com", the final character count is the same (-7), and Quitter is blue (linked) while Twitter is black (unlinked). The same effect happens with ".gov", ".edu", ".net", ".mil", ".org", the classic gTLDs .

The GNU Social software should take this into consideration; otherwise, the forwarding becomes unreliable.