Re: Change of server hostname does not change it everywhere

From: Diogo Peralta Cordeiro
Subject: Re: Change of server hostname does not change it everywhere
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 23:02:08 +0100

Hi,

anyone out there?

I'm here! :)

Changing a hostname of the server hosting a Gnusocial instance seems to be a bit problematic. The visible setting under Admin / PATHS / Server does not change the hostname everywhere. The old hostname, possibly non-functional, remains on the URLs of the posts.

Yes, that's true, I think running `scripts/updateurls.php` and `scripts/updateurls.php` after doing such changes might fix most if not all the issues tho. Note that, although for a non-federated-enabled GNU social instance it is entirely fine to do such change, in the context of the free network, doing this kind of change is a bit more complicated - the webfinger aliases must reflect this change for a smooth transition and eventual other nuances required by the OStatus protocol (for ActivityPub this would probably be enough but I still have to check).

Does anyone know how to fix this? Possibly replacing a string in the mysql database directly?

It kinda is that easy for a non-federated-enable instance, but it's a bit more complicated for a federating one. I'll see if we check this up during the summer.

Happy hacking,
---
Diogo Peralta Cordeiro
Developer