social

[Social] licensing questions

From: Sean OBrien
Subject: [Social] licensing questions
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 17:04:41 -0500

Hello all,

I have been working on a project called Foojbook with many of the same goals as
GNU social for some time now, and have recently shifted gears with it.  If you
take a look at http://foojbook.com, you'll see that the original plan was a LAMP
stack running a PHP application on top of it; the alpha release was basically a
proof-of-concept LiveCD.  The approach would have been similar to the one GNU
social uses, and others such as OneSocialWeb and Diaspora.

The new plan for Foojbook aids itself to more decentralized sharing over a
secure
version of the bittorrent protocol.  The idea is to basically write a plugin and
an alternative UI for OneSwarm (http://oneswarm.cs.washington.edu), and allow
users to share versions of their Foojbook profile with different swarms as XML
files.  The PHP scripts read/write to XML files instead of a SQL database, so
that the data is easily shared as a file to other users (what bittorrent is
designed to do).  OneSwarm already uses a "friend of a friend" approach, so the
basic structure is already there.  I've been grinding out the user interface,
and
hope to be done in a few weeks.

I have two questions:

1. If I modified the GNU social code, which is AGPLv3 licensed, to spit out
these
XML files and share them with OneSwarm, would any user that modifies the
AGPL-licensed code on their own installation then be required to release their
modified code?

2. Will there be a licensing conflict if I combine AGPLv3 code with code from
OneSwarm?  Pieces are licensed under the GPLv2, Apache License v2, Common Public
License v1, and Creative Commons NC-SA v3.  I know there are conflicts with
non-commercial stipulations, but the CC-NC-SA licensed code is not essential.
My
real concern is the GPLv2.

Thanks for your time and hard work,
Sean "Diggity" O'Brien