social

Re: [Social] [briar-devel] Fwd: GNU/social legacy

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [Social] [briar-devel] Fwd: GNU/social legacy
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:20:05 +0100

On 13 December 2012 12:54, Michael Rogers <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Melvin,

Sorry if the formatting's a bit odd, this email app strongly discourages inline quoting. :-)

> Dont you have the same problem in real life?  You call someone "Tim" and that works until you have a large room with two people called Tim in it.  Then you may need Tim A and Tim B, or firstname / lastname

True, but in a real-life social situation we can rely on goodwill and rich information like gestures, intonation and gaze direction to resolve the ambiguity. In an online interaction where security is a concern we have fewer sources of information and we need to be careful about trusting them.

> The ultimate solution to this is to have a URI to identify.  The URI can be linked to the local identifier too and http is an easy method of doing this.

When it comes to interoperability I agree that URI schemes are useful. However, even if we know that, for example, a 96-character hex string is a key fingerprint, that doesn't make it any more useful as a human-readable, memorable identifier.

Totally agree, so there is benefit of tying both together.  A public key is useful for machines, and a name is useful for people.  Take a look at the data view of my home page and you'll see both:

http://graphite.ecs.soton.ac.uk/browser/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmelvincarvalho.com%2F

It's neatly tied together using the new html5 data standards, i just had to add a few properties to existing tags and everything works.  It even has its own query language.

Cheers,
Michael