social

Re: [Social] More internal use of ActivityStreams?

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [Social] More internal use of ActivityStreams?
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 18:53:30 +0100

On 2 January 2013 18:48, hellekin (GNU Consensus) <address@hidden> wrote:
On 01/02/2013 01:24 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> activity streams projects seem to be dying.  Case in point status.net
> <http://status.net> is shutting down to new users.

*** Melvin, the successor of StatusNet, pump.io, is defined as a "Social
server with an ActivityStreams API".

>     APIs and similar specs are AFAIK not subject to copyrights or
>     patents, following the result of lawsuits like Oracle vs. Google on
>     the Dalvik engine.
>
> I would like to understand this more.  Do you have a pointer.

*** This might help:

There are legal precedents when the reverse-engineering is aimed at
interoperability of protocols. In the United States, the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act grants a safe harbor to reverse engineer
software for the purposes of interoperability with other software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_protocol#Reverse_engineering

Thanks!

> Do you think you could persuade activity streams to come under a non
> proprietary license?

*** That would be an interesting move.

A step forward perhaps.

>     If so, how far into the future is that? And would it be easier to
>     migrate from GNU Social's current homebrew structure - or something
>     properly specified like ActivityStreams?
>
> Its happening already.  Just join the fun!

*** It is one of the purposes of the GNU/consensus project to specify an
implementation-agnostic social object layer for free software projects
to interoperate. This is a public debate, and you're invited to chime in.

+1

I have know of about 6-10 projects ready to work together.  It would be nice if GNU Social was one.  Maybe in January we can start with some meaningful tests.

As I suggested, a good starting point is, "Person on system A, wants to friend person on system B.".   For which projects is it feasible?  Let's work with those.

==
hk