solang-devel

[Solang-devel] Shall we use Tracker?

From: Debarshi Ray
Subject: [Solang-devel] Shall we use Tracker?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:06:38 +0300

I have spent the last couple of weeks looking and experimenting with
the Tracker (http://projects.gnome.org/tracker/) APIs. I wrote some
code (http://rishi.fedorapeople.org/foo.c) to query the photos on my
hard disk, add some tags, etc.. I was trying to do with photos what
Paperbox (http://live.gnome.org/PaperBox) does with documents. In this
example code I was using Tracker 0.6.95, but the fun really starts
with 0.7.x (ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/tracker/0.7/) as the
following links will show you.

Unfortunately Fedora is still not shipping 0.7.x (not sure about other
desktop distributions), but Maemo 5 (used by N900 as far as I
remember) already uses some version of Tracker and it seems from
Planet GNOME postings that it will play some major role in future
GNOME 3.0 releases.

Some useful links:
http://live.gnome.org/Tracker/Documentation/AppDevelopersManual
http://live.gnome.org/Tracker/TrackerWebService

Tracker presentation at the Gran Canaria Desktop Summit 2009:
http://live.gnome.org/Tracker/Documentation/AppDevelopersManual?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Tracker-GUADEC-2009-presentation.pdf

Right now I am going to try and create some tracker-0.7.2 RPMs for
Fedora 11 and repeat my experiments with it as the APIs are completely
different from 0.6.x.

What do you think?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.