solang-devel

[Solang-devel] Solang's storage implementation

From: Debarshi Ray
Subject: [Solang-devel] Solang's storage implementation
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:21:51 +0200

So far we have been using our storage subsystem to make it possible to
store photos on the hard disk as well as in "the cloud". Till now we
have only implemented a DirectoryStorage and were planning to
implement things like RemoteWebServiceFooStorage,
RemoteWebServiceBarStorage, etc. in the future.

However, developments like these might simplify the task considerably for us:
http://thiblahute.blogspot.com/2009/08/gsoc-add-google-documents-support-to.html
http://thiblahute.blogspot.com/2009/12/some-new-about-my-gvfs-google-documents.html

If there is a Gvfs backend for a particular web service, then it
automatically becomes possible to access files stored on them in any
program using Gio/Gvfs. eg., Nautilus, Eye of GNOME. In fact any
modern GNOME program. So if tomorrow someone implements a module for
Flickr, then it would be possible to access URIs like
flickr://username/tags through said programs.

I think this is an advantage for us because the job writing the
backend and maintaining it shifts from our shoulders to that of the
Gvfs/Gio developers.

Peripherally related to this is the fact that Tracker is working on a
Web miner. Just as the file system miner indexes files on your local
file systems, the Web miner might index your Flickr account, Picasa
account, etc..

Therefore if a user wants to use Solang to manage her photos
completely in the cloud then all she needs to do is use the correct
Gvfs backend and Tracker miner and everything should work
transparently. [Of course we need to make sure we are using the
asynchronous (*_async) API calls instead of their synchronous cousins
to prevent blocking the UI and such.]

Would like to know what your thoughts are on this.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.