speechd-discuss

Re: weird voice used by Orca by default.

From: Didier Spaier
Subject: Re: weird voice used by Orca by default.
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 17:24:42 +0000

Le 13/09/2022 à 01:04, Samuel Thibault a écrit :
> Samuel Thibault, le mar. 13 sept. 2022 01:16:02 +0200, a ecrit:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Didier Spaier, le lun. 12 sept. 2022 23:13:26 +0000, a ecrit:
>>> and LXQt, I hear a voice in English in LXQ but expected a French one.
>>> In the Voice Tab of the Orca preferences window I see:
>>> Synthétiseur vocal: Synthétiseur by default
>>> Langue : fr-FR
>>> Personne : voix par défault default
>>> and if I click on "Person" drop down list I see only Virginie.
>>>
>>> This looks weird as Virginie is a pico voice, not a espeak-ng voice.
>>>
>>> Nothing change if I set pico explicitly in the Synthétiseur vocal field
>>> But if I set Virginie as Person I do hear virginie.
>>>
>>> However if I set espeak-ng I do hear a French voice.
>>>
>>> Also, if I set the syntétiseur vocal to espeak-ng-mbrola, the voice is the
>>> same,
>>> to actually use an espeak-ng-mbrola voice I need to set one as Person
>>> (french-mbrola-1 or french-mbrola-2 instead of voix par défault
>>> espak-ng-mbrola
>>>
>>> Any clue appreciated, I don't know if it is an issue with orca and/or spd
>>> and/or
>>> my installation.
>>
>> As usual with such a thing, it's a combination of all of it :)
>>
>> There was a bug in Orca about setting the default voice:
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/orca/-/merge_requests/135
>>
>> and a bug in speech-dispatcher about taking DefaultModule into account:
>> https://github.com/brailcom/speechd/commit/29ebada6b5085042c2fc699ee4eab77e8a0fee42
>
> Could you check that these two commits fix all your issues?

I tested (building from git master in case of speechd to get all your recent
commits all at once) and they do, thanks for the fast fixes, with a small
reservation: voices of espeak-ng-mbrola are very fast by default.

If that matters I install espeak-ng-mbrola.conf but not
espeak-ng-mbrola-generic.conf

I made a call for wider testing:
https://www.freelists.org/post/slint/Bugs-fixed-in-orca-and-speechdispatcher-please-test

Best,