Re: [STUMP] cmucl 18d, clx, stumpwm cvs

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [STUMP] cmucl 18d, clx, stumpwm cvs
Date: 29 Sep 2003 22:07:40 -0500

Harold Sargeant <address@hidden> writes:
> If you use
> xterm -e startstumpwm
>
> or as I do using xdm under Debian
> exec xterm -e startstumpwm &
> in .xsession
>
> you will be able to stop stumpwm, make changes (within lisp) and then restart
> it
> again without leaving X.

*Thunk*
Okay, I get it now.
And this is what Shawn meant when he said that he ran StumpWM from
within emacs.

But then this brings up the obvious question.
If you can run emacs in X without a window manager, who needs a window
manager?  Ratpoison and StumpWM have been nice, but I guess I don't
need them anymore.

> >(I need to have the rxvt terminal running, I'm not sure how to start a
> >new program in stumpwm without it)
>
> Temporarily I use xbindkeys and ratmenu - previously set up for
> ratpoison.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense.  I never used those when I ran ratpoison,
and it never occured to me to use those here.
If I were still using a window manager, I'd look into xbindkeys.

Jay