[STUMP] Re: Stumpwm-devel Digest, Vol 16, Issue 5

From: Mike Small
Subject: [STUMP] Re: Stumpwm-devel Digest, Vol 16, Issue 5
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:05:15 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:05:10 -0400
> From: Phil!Gregory <address@hidden>
> Subject: [STUMP] Virtual Desktops
> To: address@hidden
>
> I'd like to have multiple virtual desktops, and StumpWM doesn't seem to
> have them.  (Is that statement true?  Have I merely missed something?)
> Since I know Common Lisp, but not X11 so much, I went to do some
> research.  I found the following page:
>
>   http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s02.html
>
> Which mentions a couple of different approaches to virtual desktops.  Does
> anyone with more X11 experience have any suggestions on which would be a
> better approach?  If not, I'll probably try the "multiple virtual root
> windows" first, as it seems a bit easier to code.

Funny, just the other day I was thinking this would be nice while I
was setting up two rox-filer frames to drag files between.  What I
would want would be something analogous to gimp's ability to fuse
layers or dia's way of selecting multiple drawing objects into one
object.  Once you set up your frames you issue a command to fuse the
frames into one window, at least from the point of view of certain
commands.  After a fuse operation, that set of frames gets a window
number and a pull to a different window gets that window fullscreen
instead of pulling it into the active frame.  A pull back to the fused
frames window gets that frame layout again.  Frame commands work
normally among the frames in a fused window.  Window commands treat
the set of frames as a window -- a move would move the collection of
frames to a new window number, for instance.  I guess you should be
able to unfuse frames.

It was just a thought, I don't know when I'd have to try this out and
I'm still learning common lisp besides.  Maybe with Philippe's
save-restore code something similar could be done without too much
effort?

--
Mike Small
address@hidden