Re: [STUMP] Groups are virtual desktops

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Groups are virtual desktops
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:32:16 -0700

On 6/18/07, Magnus Henoch <address@hidden> wrote:
The attached patch makes stumpwm's groups behave like wm-spec's
virtual desktops.  In particular, "wmctrl -d" lists the groups,
"wmctrl -s FOO" switches to group FOO (name or number), and "wmctrl -r
WIN -t GROUP" moves window WIN to group GROUP.

wmspec requires virtual desktop numbers to be continuous and start
from 0, so I enforce that on group numbers too.

Thanks Magnus! Sorry for the delay in applying it.

I made a change to the patch before applying: instead of making
sure group numbers were contiguous and started from 0, stumpwm
translates from "stumpwm group space" to "netwm desktop
space". So the first group in the group list is considered
desktop 0, the next group desktop 1, independant of the stumpwm
group number. I felt that it was a bad thing to change group
numbers behind the user's back. It's true this could create a
different kind of confusion.

A possibility could be to ditch the contiguous requirement and
just set the group numbers on the windows and be
incompliant. However, I don't know the full ramifications of
doing this.

-Shawn