[STUMP] [patch] "pixel leak" bugfix

From: James Wright
Subject: [STUMP] [patch] "pixel leak" bugfix
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:10:02 -0700

Hi everyone,

I've noticed a bug where the "remove" command can cause pixels to
"leak" (ie, they are not assigned to any frame).  It's pretty easy to
reproduce:

1. Split your desktop into a whole bunch of vertical frames by
repeatedly invoking the "vsplit" command -- 9 frames is enough.
2. Remove all but 2 or 3 of them by invoking the "remove" command repeatedly.
3. Invoke the "fselect" command to view the borders of the frames

You should see that the bottom-most frame ends well short of the
bottom of the desktop.  The rest of the screen real-estate has been
lost; ie, it's not part of any frame.

The problem stems from the fact that the `expand-tree' function uses
`truncate' when it's calculating the new pixel-sizes for each frame
(since obviously no frame can have a non-integer size).  However, just
like in Superman III, those rounded-off pixels start to add up.

I've attached a patch that I believe fixes the problem.  (It keeps
track of the remainder and spreads it out among the frames).

      James
--
James Wright
Ask me about my vow of silence!