Re: [STUMP] Need to add float mode feature?

From: Lionel Flandrin
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Need to add float mode feature?
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:52:42 +0200

John Li <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 05:20:38PM +0800, S.P.Tseng wrote:
>>
>> It's painful to use some programs just like gimp in stumpm. Now I use
>> Xephyr to
>> run a nested WM. AFAIK, CLFSWM(http://common-lisp.net/project/clfswm/) and
>> Wmii(http://www.suckless.org/wiki/wmii) have two window layout mode. I
>> appreciate it for a long time.
>>
>> I mean if there's no one want to add such feature, I will.
>
> A lot of people seem to want this. I personally only have one use
> case: Gimp. My solution was to manually define a frame layout and
> layout rules just for the Gimp and I find it works very well.
>
> I started to write detailed instructions for how I use the Gimp, but
> decided to turn it into a wiki page instead. Check out:
> http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/wiki/Handling_the_Gimp
>
> It's certainly more initial work than with a floating wm, but it's a
> one time cost and not hard. Hope that helps!
>
> -John

I agree, there are some applications out there that are not "stumpwm
friendly", but Gimp is not one of these. Before learning how to use the
placement rules, I also thought floats would be the solution, but
stumpwm offers a much more elegant (and in my opinion more efficient)
solution. Just create some pertinent rules and you're done. (I use
something very like what John put in the wiki).

--
Lionel