Re: [STUMP] Re: Stumpwm-devel Digest, Vol 42, Issue 8

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Re: Stumpwm-devel Digest, Vol 42, Issue 8
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:39:59 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> So for example, I want to be able to hit something like C-t C-c and have
> it produce text sort of like:
> $$\xymatrix{}$$
>
> and have other things like this.  Some possibly multiline.  I initially
> thought of using the stumpwm:define-key function and the
> window-send-string function, but this doesn't seem to work and I've also
> had trouble getting the window-send-string function to send multiline
> strings.  I also thought ideally I'd like to be able to have the cursor
> move inside the string somewhere.  I thought window-send-string would be
> able to send strings that would simulate any sort of keyboard input, but
> maybe I misunderstood.  I hope now the problem is better understood.

Ok. In which case, you should read the answers you've been given. Most
text editors allow some sort of "skeleton insert": emacs calls them
skeletons, or you can use a feature called abbrevs.

If you use another text editor (or emacs for that matter), you probably
want to go and have a look at the documentation for it / ask a newsgroup
related to it.

In general, this isn't a problem window managers solve - it's not really
related to their "domain of expertise". Is there a good reason you'd
prefer to do it via top-level wm keybindings rather than in the
application that's dealing with the text?

Rupert