Re: [STUMP] Projector screens

From: John Li
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Projector screens
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:27:09 -0400

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 07:58:35PM -0600, Evans Winner wrote:

> It worked except that the projected screen cut off about 10% of the
> right side of my screen as seen on the laptop. I am wondering if
> there is some simple and/or lispy way to adjust this that preferably
> doesn't involve a lot of groveling around xorg.conf or such like.

Hm, do you mean that the projected image was the same image as on your
laptop screen, but that it didn't display the entire screen, cutting
off the right edge?

That's normal behavior, since the Eee has a widescreen aspect and
(most, all?) projectors are standard aspect. If you run "xrandr" with
the projector plugged in, you should see two connections: one being
your built-in screen and the other being the projector. They should
have different resolutions listed.

So, you could (assuming "VGA" is the projector and "LVDS" is the
built-in screen):

* Force the two to use the same resolution. If there is a resolution
  both can actually use, it will probably look ugly on one of the
  displays, but it works. "xrandr --output VGA --mode 1024x600" or
  "xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1024x768", or so.

* Configure the projector as a second monitor, so you don't have the
  same thing on both displays. Do this with an xrandr command like
  "xrandr --output VGA --auto --left-of LVDS", or so. This is kind of
  cool because you can keep notes and things on your laptop screen and
  not have them displayed. It kind of sucks if you need to both face
  your audience and read from the screen, but if you're spending lots
  of time reading slides, the presentation is already terrible, so
  whatever :).

* Make a dummy vertical frame on the right side of the screen. Hack.

Hope that helps,
John