Re: [STUMP] Re: stumpwm goes into an infinite loop

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Re: stumpwm goes into an infinite loop
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 03:01:19 -0700

Phil! Gold <address@hidden> writes:

> * Nico de Jager <address@hidden> [2009-03-12 21:04 +0200]:
>>
>> I had the same problem with earlier versions of SBCL. Versions 1.0.23
>> and higher (self compiled with multi-threading) have given me uptimes
>> of more than a month, though (on Debian Stable). SBCL had (have?) some
>> multi-threading issues.
>
> I upgraded to SBCL 1.0.25 (still from stock Debian packages), and the
> problem still happens.  I've been running stumpwm from within screen, so I
> can C-c it to get the debugger and then look at a backtrace.  It looks
> like something to do with running the external program I use for my mode
> line.  I'm not sure what else I can tell from there; I'll probably just
> rewrite stuff to get all the info I want in my mode line from within
> stumpwm.

When this happens it might be handy to run strace on stumpwm to see
what its doing. If no system calls are being made its probably in a
tight loop and it's a bug in stumpwm. I suspect this is not what's
happening though.

Have you tried loading the sbclfix module? If you have a modeline that
execs a bunch of programs, this in combination with bugs sbcl's
run-program could be causing this and sbclfix will probably fix it.

Another solution that may not be desirable but can help you debug the
problem is to build stumpwm with clisp and see if the problem persists.

-Shawn