Re: [STUMP] what is a head?

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [STUMP] what is a head?
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 13:57:15 -0700

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Joel Fernandes<address@hidden> wrote:
> I have small question about what the term 'head' means.
> ok, so we have a x11 'display' that has multiple screens (each one
> being a crt?) and each screen having multiple heads, each head in turn
> having multiple mode-lines. Now why would a single screen have more
> than one mode-line? Also what exactly is a head and why do screens
> which are on their own crts have multiple such heads?
>
> I've tried hard to answer these question by looking up stumpwm and clx
> docs and pretty much everywhere else.

A head is a physical monitor. A screen is a section of video memory
that heads are mapped on to. When using xinerama you generally have 1
screen and many heads. When not using xinerama each screen is a
physical monitor so you have many screens with only one head on them.

Hopefully that helps!

-Shawn