Re: [STUMP] Xmodmap keys

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Xmodmap keys
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:47:32 +0200

Hi all,

> I've often switched to the F6 terminal (I don't know how we call these) and
> typed:
>
>     xmodmap -e 'keycode 133 = F20' -e 'clear Lock' -e 'keycode 66 = F19'
>
> Success was sometimes there, sometimes not...
>
> I will try next time prefixing the command with `setxkbmap gb &&':
>
>     setxkbmap gb && xmodmap -e 'keycode 133 = F20' \
>                             -e 'clear Lock' -e 'keycode 66 = F19'
>
>>> A workaround (rather: an ugly hack) that worked for me was to start a
>>> subshell from ~/.Xsession that would stay in the background and reset the
>>> keymap every 2 minutes:
>>>
>>> (while true; do sleep 120; setxkbmap dvorak && xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc) &
>
> If adding `setxkbmap' works for reinitializing properly my keyboard, I'll
> use your hack...

Just got the problem again: lost both F19 (Caps Lock for toggling keyboard)
and F20 (Super Left, the "Windows" key) when I was in Emacs (and in French
keyboard layout).

I could not switch to any other program anymore. Hopefully, I could type `M-x
shell' in Emacs to open a terminal window within Emacs itself.

There, I typed:

    setxkbmap gb

Went back to British layout (though, Caps Lock LED stayed on, as one can
expect). Command worked as expected.

Then, I typed:

    xmodmap -e 'keycode 133 = F20' -e 'clear Lock' -e 'keycode 66 = F19'

But I never got my StumpWM prefix key back.

Typing:

    xmodmap .Xmodmap

did not change anything -- while the key mappings are there as well.

So, still blocked, and still no other issue than killing X...

Any idea?

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban