Re: [STUMP] Bug report: division by zero when starting a video

From: Ben Spencer
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Bug report: division by zero when starting a video
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:23:28 +0100

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 07:46:13PM +0100, Ben Spencer wrote:
> It seems that mplayer/vlc is setting the Y part of the aspect ratio in
> WM_NORMAL_HINTS to zero.  CLX attempts to divide the two numbers to
> produce a ratio value, hence the error.
>
> I don't know if this is considered a valid value for the hint, but
> clearly CLX should be handling it better than it is.  I notice that in
> the latest version of new-clx there is a workaround:

I've done a bit of digging and it seems this issue has come up before:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/stumpwm-devel/2009-08/msg00024.html

The new-clx patch was applied as a result:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4A954322.80106%40gnu.org&forum_name=clisp-devel

However as noted there the apparent bug exists in all CLX
implementations.

> Assuming you're using new-clx, you could give this a try and see if it
> helps.  Puzzlingly, however, portable-clx appears to suffer from the
> same issue, yet mplayer works fine for me.  Could you provide details of:

Don't worry about this, I've reproduced it in clisp with new-clx using
whatever mplayer I had installed.  I have also tried it in clisp with
portable-clx, which doesn't trigger the bug.  This suggests that we
*are* looking at a new-clx specific bug, just a more subtle one than
was previously thought.

Ben