Re: [STUMP] Explanation of screen shot

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Explanation of screen shot
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 11:31:53 -0400

To echo Michael's comments, I also use stumpwm+synergy to make my laptop and desktop act as one single screen, I do however resort to using the mouse to switch screens. I know that synergy has a keybinding that lets you switch screen focus, but I'm not sure how to integrate it with stumpwm's command paradigm.

Michael, could you post a snippet of your hacks?  I'm very interested in a stumpwm based solution to this.

Cheers,

              Dave

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Lionel Flandrin <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 02:04:52PM +0200, Ivan Kanis wrote:
> Michael Raskin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >>http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/screenshot.html
> >>
> >>I assume it's a stumpwm session across multiheads. I am curious how it
> >>was setup.
> >
> > Current version of StumpWM correctly goes multihead automatically when
> > launched on most XRandR multihead setups.
>
> Yeah but it looks like multiple computers are used for displays. For
> example there are two laptops. From what I read XRandR only works on one
> computer...
>
> Take care,

I expect there are several instances of stumpwm running on multiple
computers (at least two, at a glance). It's also possible to start
stumpwm from a remote computer (say, over ssh -X) to manage the
windows on the local display. IIRC there were issues with clisp's clx
connecting to a remote host, but that was a long time ago.

I don't know if it's possible to have a single instance of stumpwm
manage windows on multiple hosts, but since it'd involve managing
multiple DISPLAYs I suspect it won't work without some modifications
to stumpwm's code.

For the record I did some dirty hack in the past with synergy[1] and
stumpwm to make it behave like a single session across two computers,
so depending on what you're trying to achieve you might want to have a
look at that.

[1] http://synergy-foss.org/

Cheers,
--