Re: [STUMP] Question about neighbour in tile-group.lisp

From: Ben Spencer
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Question about neighbour in tile-group.lisp
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:24:19 +0000

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 07:45:30PM -0700, Stephen Balousek wrote:
> I dug a little deeper and found that most of the "focus" functions
> deal with :up, :down, :left, and :right, but not - from a frameset
> perspective - :next and :prev.
>
> It seems to me that functions like move-focus-and-or-window or
> neighbour should also take :prev and :next as values for direction
> in addition to :up, :down, :left, and :right.
>
> Can anyone explain this difference to me?  Is there some kind of
> history behind these two un-unified sets of direction, (:prev and
> :next) and (:up :down :left and :right)?

Hi Stephen,

I don't think there's anything particularly strange going on here,
it's just that frames are visualised in 2 dimensions (unlike windows
or groups, which are just linear lists) so it makes sense to be able
to move about that in that way.

As to why fnext/fprev and move-focus are totally disjoint commands, I
guess that's just historical.  If there's brevity to be gained by
merging the implementations then I'm all for it.

Ben