Re: [STUMP] getting mpd working with emms and stumpwm

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] getting mpd working with emms and stumpwm
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:33:41 +0800

On Fri, Jan 13 2012, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a heavy emacs user, recent Stumpwm convert, and just discovered mpd
> for playing music. I'm trying to get EMMS and the mpd Stump plugin to
> play nicely together, and having some difficulties. (I'm using
> archlinux, sbcl 1.0.54, mpd 0.16.6, stump from git, emacs from git, and
> EMMS 3.0.)
>
> My goal, which I've achieved intermittently, is to be able to control
> browsing, playlists and playback from either EMMS or Stump, and have
> them talk nicely to each other: changes made via one reflected
> immediately in the other, etc.

After messing with other mpd interfaces (mpc, gmpc), it seems clear that
the problem lies in keeping EMMS current with mpd. Repeated calls to
`emms-player-mpd-connect' can help catch EMMS up if I've changed the
playlist via other interfaces, but I can't figure out how to sync in the
opposite direction—making sure that playlist changes and current play
state set in EMMS are communicated to mpd and its other interfaces.

EMMS has got everything else beat in terms of browsing/searching and
playlist manipulation, but I need something more general for playback
control—can someone familiar with EMMS let me know if there's something
I can do here? 'emms-player-mpd-sync-playlist' is set to true…

Thanks!
Eric