Re: Setup difficulties

From: Alexander Prähauser
Subject: Re: Setup difficulties
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 18:06:29 +0200

I also should have mentioned that I did
git clone https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm-contrib ~/.stumpwm.d/modules

in ~/stumpwm.d/modules and if I run
(load-module "kbd-layouts")

I don't get an error message, so I think the modules themselves are installed.

Alexander Prähauser [2023-08-25 Fri 16:38] wrote:

Hello! I'm trying to transition to Stumpwm and I'm having some
difficulties. I'm running Arch Linux and installed Stumpwm using

(ql:quickload :stumpwm)

and followed the Arch Linux guide to create a Stumpwm entry in my
Login Manager. I also installed sbcl using Roswell.

I'm using a modified adnw-keymap, so I put the following into my
.stumpwmrc:

(load-module "kbd-layouts")
(keyboard-layout-list "de -variant adnw" "en" "de")

However, when I'm starting Stumpwm, it says the function
keyboard-layout-list is undefined. I'd copy the exact output,
but if I do (copy-unhandled-error) and C-y in Emacs, it doesn't copy
the error message. I can do > setxkbmap de adnw

in xterm, but I have another issue, which is that I can't use the
higher keyboard layers of my layout in the Stumpwm
shell, which house some pretty important symbols, including
brackets. If I press a modifier and some key, the modifier
is simply ignored.

Furthermore, I'd like to use Protonvpn to establish a VPN, but if I
try to connect in Stumpwm, it can't establish a
connection. I can ask the Protonvpn support about this, but before
that I'd like to be able to use Network Manager. For
this I've put the following into my .stumpwmrc:

(load-module "stump-nm")
(define-key *root-map* (kbd "C-w") "nm-list-wireless-networks")
(define-key *root-map* (kbd "C-v") "nm-list-vpn-connections")

However, if I enter the first line into the Stumpwm evaluation line,
it gives me another error message I again can't
copy. So I feel like I'm missing something with so many error
messages, but I don't know what. I guess at least for the second
problem, the stump-nm module not loading a good starting point would
be to know how to copypaste the error message I get
when I try to load it manually.