summer-of-code

Re: Fw: Re: [Savane-dev] About Savane with python

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: [Savane-dev] About Savane with python
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 18:49:23 -0400

On 4/3/12 5:26 PM, Sylvain wrote:
That's the main issue: Jordi pushed this idea and offered mentorship,
but he's not related to Savannah or Savane and didn't contact either
project.  Moreover, his attitude is now affecting the image of these
projects and GNU.

Also, Savane is not a GNU project and didn't express the wish to be
associated with Google.

Savane != Savannah, Savane is merely the software Savannah runs.

As a consequence:

- the "Savane" confusing section of the GSOC ideas must be removed
   _right now_

I agree, remove it for now.

- in a second step, I think Michael or somebody from the Savannah team
   (but nobody else) may submit an idea and propose a mentor

Michael, must we drop the idea/project?  AFAIK Sylvain started a rewrite
of the savane codebase some time ago... could this effort benefit from
the SoC idea?

   One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of
   code. — Ken Thompson

I don't have a definitive opinion, though don't throw a student on a
project if there's nobody to maintain it afterwhile.

I'm not personally going to maintain the Python version of Savane, so I'm planning, and have been planning, on starting a rewrite from scratch. All I can say here is that you're just going to have to trust me. :-/

I'd love to have a student help out and should have probably paid attention to the GSoC announcement so that we could have formulated a plan.

Right now there are two things a student could do that would be very helpful.

1) Help with UI overhaul to make Savannah look more modern (in PHP codebase).
2) Write a project evaluation tool.