summer-of-code

GNU ClassPath : Need some help with autotools

From: Farshad Muhammad
Subject: GNU ClassPath : Need some help with autotools
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:23:29 +0000

Hi,
After building classpath-0.99 with some minor success I learned a little about
autotools and have been trying to build the git version you sent me but have
run into some issues which I cant seem to debug.

I'm currently on ubuntu 10.04 LTS (I use this older version because anything
above 11.10 runs pretty slowly even on my fully upgraded machine and is usually
very buggy with a Windows 8 dual boot)

I'm using: Automake 1.13, Autoconf 2.65, libtool 2.2.6b.

After cloning the git version of classpath,  i'm currently using these set of
commands to produce the configure and makefile.in files:
        $ libtoolize ; aclocal ; autoheader ; automake --add-missing ; autoconf

The commands go through but I keep getting these warnings:

         configure.ac:505: warning: macro 'AM_ICONV' not found in library
         configure.ac:505: warning: AC_LIB_PREPARE_PREFIX is m4_require'd but
not m4_defun'd
         m4/iconv.m4:11: AM_ICONV_LINKFLAGS_BODY is expanded from...
         m4/iconv.m4:22: AM_ICONV_LINK is expanded from...
         m4/iconv.m4:77: AM_ICONV is expanded from...
         configure.ac:505: the top level
         configure.ac:505: warning: AC_LIB_RPATH is m4_require'd but not
m4_defun'd

and right after when I try to use ./configure it fails giving me this error:
                ./configure: line 18024: syntax error near unexpected token
`iconv'
                ./configure: line 18024: `      AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS_BODY(iconv)'

I've tried hunting on google for this issue but it hasnt really yielded
particularly helpful results, any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Also I will start working on the first draft of my proposal soon, could I
possibly send it to you guys for feedback? If so do I just attach and send it
to this mailing list address or to another specific e-mail address?

Thanks for all your help!
Farshad