summer-of-code

[proposal] A private and secure auctioning library

From: Markus Teich
Subject: [proposal] A private and secure auctioning library
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 01:16:27 +0100

Heyho,

I know it is late. See my proposal below. Let me know if you have any questions.

--Markus

# About Me

- Name: Markus Teich
- University: TUM (Technische Universität München)
- Study status: currently doing my Computer Science MSc. program

# Project Summary

I would like to develop a secure and private auctioning library incorporating an
algorithm like the ones proposed by Felix Brandt[0][1]. In the end this should
be usable in conjunction with TALER as the payment system to provide a
cryptographically protected alternative to eBay and other centralized auctioning
platforms.

# Planned Result

In the end I want to provide a library usable by both bidders and sellers to
execute auctions. The implemented algorithm should only leak the identity of the
winner and the price to the winner and the seller (privacy) and protect against
adversaries manipulation of the auction outcome (secure). The exact features and
limitations will depend on the algorithm choosen, but these are the goals I want
to achieve. A documentation of the API and some example code will also be
included.

# Mentor

I propose Christian Grothoff as my mentor. I already know him as supervisor of
my bachelors thesis and another university project.

# Proposed Timeline

- mid of may until beginning of june: Literature research and selection of the
  algorithm to be implemented.
- mid of june until end of june: Start library implementation.
- end of june: Midterm evaluation.
- beginning of july until mid of august: finish library and implement usage
  example / testing code. Also write API documentation.
- end of august: final evaluation.

# Technologies

I want to use C as programming language and libgcrypt for the crypto backend.

# Résumé

I am an active open source developer for a few years now. Some of my work can be
found on github[2]. C is my primary programming language as I have used it for
multiple own projects and when fixing bugs in other projects. At the university
I attended several courses on networking and cryptography.

0: http://dss.in.tum.de/files/brandt-research/fki-245-02.pdf
1:
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~sandholm/privacy_preserving_multi-unit_auctions.lncs05.pdf
2: https://github.com/schachmat/