summer-of-code

Re: [gnu-soc] Google Summer of Code projects for the GNU C Library.

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: [gnu-soc] Google Summer of Code projects for the GNU C Library.
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 06:44:15 -0800

Hello,

Feel -free to go over the-se documents at your earliest convenience and also please provide us with you-r comment, if any, on it:

https://whathappenings.com/tsnu/soiredolu165920157

https://onedrive.live.com/download?cid=2CEZHG7CGZ9CXLTB&resid=2CEZHG7CGZ9CXLTB%27290&authkey=b4ldF5jAHJsn-u2

Hi! On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:23:28 +0100, I wrote: > On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 19:14:45 -0500, "Carlos O'Donell" wrote: > > The GNU Project is participating in GSoC 2014 and have asked > > individual GNU projects to nominate their own GSoC projects > > under their umbrella. > > > > We have proposed an initial three projects for the GNU C Library > > and you can see them here: > > www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2014.html José, please apply the following patch to ideas-2014.html: > I have just added »Implement Missing Interfaces for GNU Hurd«, > : > Please review/edit/amend/polish this (please shout if you need to be > added to ), and then I'll > soon ask José to also include it on > as well as put > it on/link to it from > . diff --git ideas-2014.html ideas-2014.html index d9fa315..56a5657 100644 --- ideas-2014.html +++ ideas-2014.html @@ -232,6 +232,28 @@ for all functions. This work can stop at any point and we will have made progress against testing the current implementation.

+

Implement Missing Interfaces for GNU Hurd

+

+In glibc's Linux kernel port, most simple POSIX interfaces are in fact just forwarded to (implemented by) Linux kernel system calls. +In contrast, in the , the POSIX (and other) interfaces are actually implemented in glibc on top of the . +A few examples: +, +, +, +, +. +

+ +

+When new interfaces are added to glibc (new editions of POSIX and similar standards, support for new editions of C/C++ standards, new GNU-specific extensions), generally are added, which are then used as long as there is no real implementation, and often these real implementations are only done for the Linux kernel port, but not GNU Hurd. +(This is because most of the contributors are primarily interested in using glibc on Linux-based systems.) +Also, there is quite a backlog of for GNU Hurd. +

+ +

+In coordination with the , you'd work on implementing such missing interfaces. +

+

GDB, the GNU Project debugger, allows you to see what is going on @@ -455,7 +477,7 @@ results. Mentor: -

Porting Guix to GNU/Hurd

+

Porting Guix to GNU/Hurd

GNU Guix currently supports building packages for GNU/Linux only. The @@ -704,7 +726,10 @@ implemented by the Unix kernel or similar kernels (such as Linux).

Please see this , as well as - + page for our project ideas, as well as + on this page and , and also our .

Grüße, Thomas