swarm-announce

Swarm job announcement

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Swarm job announcement
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 12:30:59 MDT

I've been working on Swarm for the last two years as one of the chief
designers and programmers. I'm leaving at the end of June to prepare
for starting graduate school at the MIT Media Lab this fall, and we're
looking now to hire someone to replace me. We need to hire a good,
savvy, Swarm-type programmer and release manager. It should be an
interesting job and will allow for pursuit of the person's own
research interests here at SFI as well.

Here is the job description/ad - please don't rebroadcast this
elsewhere, but if you know someone who might be interested, have
them contact Bruce Abell (Vice President for Finance and Operations)
at <address@hidden>.

Research Programmer

We are looking for a self-motivating programmer to join the Swarm team at
the Santa Fe Institute.

Swarm (http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/) is an object oriented
toolkit for building multiagent simulations.

The primary use of Swarm is in modelling natural systems for research:
application domains include physics, biology, ecology, economics and
anthropology. Swarm itself is a set of Objective C libraries that run
under Unix. Our development model is free software: Swarm intends to
grow organically by user contribution.

Qualifications: experience in object oriented programming, including
building and maintaining software for public release, is mandatory.
Applicants should be thoroughly familiar with C; Objective C
experience is desireable, and experience with dynamic object oriented
languages (CLOS or Smalltalk, for example) is particularly welcome.
Applicants must have extensive experience developing software in Unix,
preferably with skills in developing graphical applications (Xlib or
Tk in particular). In addition, some familiarity with scientific
modelling, especially from a multiagent perspective, is strongly
desired. Finally, we wish to find someone familiar with the free
software model of development (such as GNU tools or Linux): a primary
responsibility will be fostering the community of Swarm users and
incorporating their contributions into the distribution.

We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.