swarm-announce

The Weekly Pheromone Volume II Issue 5

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: The Weekly Pheromone Volume II Issue 5
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 16:25:01 -0700

                         The Weekly Pheromone
                          Volume 2, Issue 4
                          March 25, 1997

   The Pheromone will stand to inform users of the activities and
goals of the hive and user community.  Contributions are accepted that
announce Swarm-related events or activities in any of the growing
Swarm colonies around the world.  To contribute, send e-mail to
address@hidden  The Pheromone is mailed out on Tuesday (or....
maybe Wednesday) if and only if there is information to be
disseminated.

Table of Contents

   I.  User Community Page Update

       A. New Village Paper

   Tim Kohler has alerted me to a new paper available about the
Anasazi village formation model.  It's on the user community pages
now, as well.

       B. Bruno's Demo

   Bruno Cuvelier has kindly submitted his prototype application that
shows sets of agents belonging to different Swarms.  It's called
"dispersion" and was inspired by the dispersion behaviour seen in
fish shoals.  Check it out if you get the chance.  It's on the Swarm
anarchy ftp site.

  II.  Nonprofit Swarm.org Plans

   I've posted one of the sticky issues with respect to forming a
swarm.org to swarm-support.  If anybody on swarm-announce is
interested in reading it and expressing their opinion, please do.
It's at:
http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9703/0143.html.

   I've only seen one response about this on swarm-support from Kevin
Crowston (thanks Kevin).  That must mean that nobody cares what form
the organization takes, eh?  [grin] Just kidding.  Actually, we do
need feedback on issues like this.  We want to design an organization
that will serve YOU guys in the best way.  So, please either post an
opinion or, at the very least, send comments to me <address@hidden>.

 III.  Progress Report

   We're spending alot of time trying to design a robust nonprofit
organization.  I think that it's proceeding smoothly.  We will be in
the position to post what we've come up with within the next week.
So, if you have any ideas, please send them to me.

   We're working ever so steadily on the manual.  We have alot of the
text written and laying around in pieces.  And we're busy writing
segues and skeletal structs to get it all to hang together.  We may
not make it by the end of March; but, it should be close.  It will
be in LaTeX, so we will have html as well as postscript and dvi.

   In addition to all this lovely tech-writer/program-admin work,
we're also working on Swarm 1.0.2.  The changes aren't stable, yet;
but, it should contain several useful fixes and enhancements.

   And some progress has been made on the DEC Alpha port.

  IV.  Volunteer for the T&T Compendium

   Dwight Wilson <address@hidden> has graciously volunteered
to gather items for the Tricks and Techniques Compendium that was
discussed at SwarmFest '97.  So, if you have a 'trick' or 'technique,'
particularly one that you think required an 'Aha!' to catch, please
send them to him or to the swarm-support list.

   While were on this subject, does anyone want to volunteer to start
up a Style Manual?  This will ultimately be a manual documenting all
kinds of style suggestions for programming in Swarm; but, at first it
can just be a C/ObjC/GNU coding style guide.  We can add the Swarm
specific style hints later.  If you'd like to volunteer, let one of us
know.  The GNU coding style would be the logical place to start.

   V.  Swarm-GIS Mailing List

   The Swarm-GIS mailing list was opened for business about two weeks
ago.  There hasn't been any traffic on it, yet; but, if you happen to
be interested in GIS related Swarming, then subscribe via a message
to:

    address@hidden

with the following in the body:

    subscribe swarm-gis address@hidden

as usual.

                              =========

The Swarm Bulletin is created by the members of the Swarm project at
the Santa Fe Institute.  For more information on the Swarm Project,
see http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm.  Comments, corrections, and
contributions should be sent to address@hidden