swarm-announce

address@hidden BOUNCE address@hidden: Non-member submission from address

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: address@hidden BOUNCE address@hidden: Non-member submission from address@hidden
Date: 04 Feb 1998 09:40:16 -0800

>From address@hidden  Wed Feb  4 09:31:00 1998
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 09:30:57 -0700
From: address@hidden
To: address@hidden
Subject: Swarmfest'98 Call for Participation & Registration form

                      Call for Participation

  Swarmfest '98 - The Second Annual Meeting of the Swarm Users Group

                         Hotel Santa Fe
                    Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
                       March 23 - 24, 1998

The Swarm Development Program at the Santa Fe Institute is proud to announce
Swarmfest '98, the 2nd Annual Meeting of the Swarm Users Group.  Swarmfest
attracts researchers from diverse disciplines who have a common interest in
multi-agent modelling using Swarm.  Past and present Swarm developers will
also be participating in the conference.

This year we will be holding a series of talks including time for discussion
following each presentation.  We aim to create a cross discipline environment
in which attendees can hear what is going on in other fields and extrapolate
lessons they can apply in their environment.  If you wish to make a
presentation or organize a discussion, please submit an abstract or a
title to me (address@hidden).

New to Swarmfest, we will be offering a tutorial session, "An Introduction
to Swarm" taught by Benedikt Stefansson, the Sunday prior to the kick-off of
Swarmfest. (see details below).

We will also meet to discuss the future direction of Swarm development, the
formation of the Swarm Advisory Board, and the results of the Annual Swarm
Survey.  We may form special interest groups to discuss specific problems.

Attached below is logistics and transportation information provided by
Andi Sutherland, the Events Manager at SFI, along wih a registration
form to be returned to Andi by fax (505) 982-0565 or by email
(address@hidden).  Please return your registration by February 19, 1998.

We hope to see you at Swarmfest '98!

--Irene Lee

Logistical Details

Participants will be expected to arrive on Sunday, March 22. (Those
attending the tutorial session need to arrive early in the day).
There will be a welcome reception held at the Hotel Santa Fe on Sunday
evening from 7:00 to 9:00 pm.  The conference will begin with
continental breakfast at the Hotel Santa Fe at 8:30 a.m. on Monday,
March 23.  We will conclude at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, March 24.

Accommodations have been reserved for the group at the Hotel Santa Fe, a
lovely hotel near downtown Santa Fe located at 1501 Paseo de Peralta, (505)
982-1200 phone, (505) 986-8756 fax, from Sunday night, March 22
through Tuesday night, March 24.  All rooms will be guaranteed for late
arrival.  Please be certain to return the attached registration form to me
either by fax (505) 982-0565

Information about travelling to Santa Fe follows.

Air: The major airport connection to Santa Fe is Albuquerque, New Mexico;
approximately 60 miles from Santa Fe.  Most major airlines fly into
Albuquerque.  There is also a small airport in Santa Fe which is serviced
by Mesa Airlines (10-seat planes) from both Albuquerque and Denver; for
information call 1-800-637-2247.

Ground: You can reach downtown Santa Fe from the Albuquerque airport
using a bus service called Shuttlejack which runs approximately every two
hours. The cost is $20 each way and reservations are required; call (505)
982-4311 for reservations and information. The Shuttle stops at the Hotel
Santa Fe.  The Road Runner Shuttle runs between the Santa Fe airport and
the hotel.  Please call (505) 424-3367 for reservations.

Car rental is available at the Albuquerque and Santa Fe airports and in
downtown Santa Fe.  To reserve a car, call 1-800-828-3438 and reference the
Santa Fe Institute corporate account number T475500. If your credit card or
personal insurance policy does not provide insurance for rental car damage
or liability, we advise you to accept LDW and SLI at the counter.

Santa Fe is a wonderful, small city with excellent cultural opportunities
and restaurants.  We are at an altitude of 7,000 feet.  In March,
temperatures will range from 20 - 60 degrees.  Snow is possible.  For
additional information about Santa Fe, please access the Santa Fe Visitors
Bureau web site at http://www.santafe.org.

If you have questions about logistical details, please contact me at SFI at
(505) 989-7372 or address@hidden; I'll be happy to help you with any
problems or special arrangements.  For answers to questions about
conference substance, please contact Chris Langton at address@hidden

We're looking forward to seeing you.

Regards,

Andi Sutherland
Events Manager

Additional Travel Information:

We recommend that you use the Shuttlejack service from the Albuquerque
airport  (505) 982-4311 to the hotel or the  Road Runner shuttle from the
Santa Fe airport (505) 424-3367.

Travel Instructions from the Albuquerque Airport to the Hotel Santa Fe,
1501 Paseo de Peralta

>From the airport, take Sunport to I-25 North, the main highway to Santa
Fe.  Travel approximately one hour on I-25 to the Old Pecos Trail Exit
(#284).  Take a left on Old Pecos Trail.  After the light at Zia, stay in
the right lane and veer to the right onto Old Pecos Trail.   Old Pecos
Trail changes in name only to Old Santa Fe Trail as you approach the
downtown area.  At the large intersection of Old Santa Fe Trail and
Paseo de Peralta take a left.  The hotel entry is on the right just past
the intersection of Cerrillos Road and Paseo de Peralta.

Additional travel information can be found at
http://www.santafe.edu/sfi/directions/.

"Swarmfest '98"
March 23-24, 1998
Hotel Santa Fe
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

Participant Registration/Housing Form

Name:   Ms. ___ Mr.     ___           Dr.  ___        Prof.   ___

Address:______________________________________________

Telephone: (office)_______________     Fax #:  _________________

e-mail address:_________________________________________

Name you'd prefer on your nametag:__________________________

Participant Registration Rate
(please check one of the categories)

___ Student     $100.00
___ Academic    $150.00
___ Corporate   $200.00

Housing Request:

Hotel Santa Fe
1501 Paseo de Peralta,  (505) 982-1200

Arrival:        Date_____________   Time in Santa Fe_______________

Departure:   Date______________  Time from Santa Fe_____________

Will you be alone, or are you planning to bring spouse and/or family?

Would you care to share a room?  Yes ______ No _____

With whom?__________________________________________

Any Dietary Restrictions? Special A/V needs?

Swarmfest '98 Tutorial Session: An Introduction to Swarm
taught by Benedikt Stefansson of UCLA
March 22, 1998

Description of the tutorial:

The target audience of this tutorial are users who have limited or no
experience with the Swarm system, but would like to create their own
simulation programs. Our emphasis will be on examples of working models
and modeling solutions in Swarm. We will offer a general overview of the
Swarm libraries, and a more detailed look at the major contributions of
Swarm to simulation programming: A user friendly set of Graphical User
Interface components and Object Oriented libraries to control events and
manage agents in the model world.

Because of time constraints, we will expect some prior knowledge of
programming. Familiarity with C, Objective-C or C++ will be helpful, but
not essential.

There will be two sessions, from 9-12 AM and 1-4 PM, with short coffee
breaks in the morning and afternoon.

A rough outline of the tutorial follows (this schedule is quite ambitious
so some of the topics may be covered with broad strokes):

I.  Overview.
    Background
    Implementation issues, system requirements,  languages etc.
    General structure of simulations written in Swarm.
    Documentation, resources

II. Modeling examples:
    Creating and managing objects in Swarm
    Detailed look at tutorial application
    Modeling issues, with examples from business, economics and biology.

Lunch (discussion)

III.  The Swarm libraries
    Arrays, Lists and other sets
    Probing agents and relaying information
    Schedule and control of events

IV. The Swarm libraries (continued)
    Data gathering and analysis
    Managing and displaying 2D spaces
    Graphs
    Random number library

The fee for this tutorial is $50.00
(There may be an additional fee for the lunch)

Do you wish to attend the tutorial session?  Yes ______ No ______

Please return this information to Andi Sutherland  by fax  (505) 982-0565
or e-mail: address@hidden by February 19, 1998