swarm-announce

1999 Swarm survey results: available online.

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: 1999 Swarm survey results: available online.
Date: 11 May 1999 19:31:33 -0600

Collective Hivers,

The results from the 1999 Swarm survey are now available on line!
(the survey is now officially closed)

Navigate your favourite browser to:

  http://swarm.santafe.edu/survey99/survey-results1.mhtml

Thanks to everyone who participated, 120 at the final count!

Some highlights of the survey:

* respondents came from 24 different countries

* 70 of which indicate they have used Swarm

* 60 indicated they use Swarm primarily in a research context,
  2 indicated their work is of an industrial/commercial nature

* only a third of users now found the installation of Swarm difficult
  (compared with more than half in previous years)

* for at least two enhancements which were rated highly, we have made
  considerable inroads (either having actually been implemented, or
  currently in the works):

 - database interface for data access (the binary database format:
   HDF5 and enhancement of R, a freely available statistical package)

 - Java interface (nearing completion)

We clearly have more work ahead of us, but with your continued support
we hope to achieve them.  We hope that the results will stimulate a
general conversation on the mailing list(s).

Congratulations also to our 10 winners (picked at random from all
survey entrants):

  Peter Zvirinsky
  Andrew Sherlock
  Ginger Booth
  Eric Werk
  Krishnan Viswanathan
  John Dellenger
  Miles Parker
  Brian Haugh
  Donald Snyder
  Nicholas Tay

Depending on our stocks, each winner will receive either a SwarmFest99
T-shirt or CD-ROM.  We'll be contacting each of you privately to
arrange delivery options.

The information you have helped us collect will be invaluable in
helping plan future Swarm enhancements and setting overall directions
for the project.

Thanks again!

 --- Alex

--