Re: [swarm-hackers] Can somebody declare a CVS "version" that works?

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Can somebody declare a CVS "version" that works?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:37:44 -0500

Steve Railsback wrote:
Paul Johnson wrote:
Hello, it is Grampa Johnson back to greet you warmly!

I'm trying to get back in the Swarm support game by building RPMS and Debian packages. Are we still using the Savannah CVS server? I just

Hi Paul,

Marcus helped me get Swarm going on Fedora 9 last week; I think Java Swarm is in there, as I don't think I did anything to leave it out. (I'm extremely ignorant about buildign from source.)

Would it be possible/helpful for me to make an RPM, if you talk me through it?

Steve

Well, it would be harder for me to talk you through it than for you to give me a swarm-2.XX.tar.gz file snapshot of the source tree that builds. Or a snapshot and whatever patches were necessary.

If you do want to make an RPM. you start with the tar.gz file mentioned previously. Then you build a spec file to control the build. I'm attaching the spec file that worked for older swarms. You put that spec file in the right spot in a hierarchy and then run the builder program "rpmbuild" and it generates the RPM and the SRPM. But, since you have to make the tar.gz file to start, why not just do that and let me have it, and give me tips on whatever special configure magic is needed.

pj

Professor, Political Science          http://pj.freefaculty.org
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086