Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm in debian/ubuntu

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm in debian/ubuntu
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:43:33 -0600

Paul Johnson wrote:
From reading the
activity library, I was just guessing that dropping JDK altogether made
programs run faster.  I think I did some testing at one time and it was
a few % better in the runtime.
A few percent sounds right.
I compiled some programs with
it and they seemed to be a tad slower than the ordinary Java, but I
think Marcus thought the native code versions might outperform the
virtual machine ones if I knew how to properly optimize Java code.  But
that was, oh, 4 years ago...
A GCJ build does offer more control, and transparency and integration options but it may well be that there is no real performance difference, or that performance is worse with GCJ. (I just don't know.)