Re: [swarm-hackers] GCC 4.x and builtin_apply

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] GCC 4.x and builtin_apply
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:30:14 -0700

On Oct 26, 2008, at 6:02 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

Scott Christley wrote:
Anybody using GCC 4.x on Linux? Swarm compiles fine but fails make check on the forwarding test. I was having this same problem on Fedora8 but I'm also seeing it on Debian.
Forwarding is only invoked for foreign objects (Java), so only worry about it for that. I think it's probably best to write and maintain new code for this, or find someone else that really does (e.g. Apple?), for a few ABIs that we really care about. The flaw in for the setup of the return frame for the forward: call, the retval_t struct.

We can rely upon GNUstep and Apple for those configurations, the question is about the standard Swarm. One possibility is to always rely upon gnustep-base, the non-GUI portion, for Linux and Windows. It should still be possible to have a tcl/tk/blt GUI. I would have been hesitant to suggest this before, but these days gnustep-base is practically complete and solid, and increasingly available on all the standard Linux distributions.

Scott