Re: [swarm-hackers] GCC 4.x and builtin_apply

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] GCC 4.x and builtin_apply
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:15:45 -0500

Alex Lancaster wrote:
"MGD" == Marcus G Daniels  writes:

MGD> Scott Christley wrote:
One possibility is to always rely upon gnustep-base, the non-GUI
portion, for Linux and Windows.
MGD> Sounds good, provided it can be adapted for Java support and
MGD> works for 64 bit.

Scott,

Do you know what GNUStep's status in Fedora is as yet?  I wouldn't be
comfortable only supporting GNUStep until it available at the very
least in rawhide (soon to be F-10).

Alex

Can I put the question another way?

This reminds me a bit of the days when I had to build the tcl-objc libraries before blt, libffi, and Swarm. I did not know what those things did, but I needed them, and Sven taught me how to build them. If they were needed/beneficial, I could learn to keep up.

If the GNUstep supplies the objective C components Swarm needs, then use it, whether or not it in packages into various distributions.

Since I've given up on Fedora, perhaps I am less interested in whether or not Fedora has adopted gnustep or not. With 50 competing distributions, it seems to me that if somebody wants to support a distribution, he should just make the packages for whatever is needed. Forever, we've been offering special rpms for blt or hdf5 when need arises. Remember blt-unofficial-8.0?

Of course, adopting GNUstep as a required library means Scott has to take a blood oath that he will always keep it up to date.

I recall, for example, that Marcus became so tired of our troubles to compile tcl-objc and the avltree programs that he put them into Swarm itself. I suppose that if that Rochester programmer who offered tcl-objc (Andrew McCallum, was it?) had remained active, that would not have been necessary.

Professor, Political Science          http://pj.freefaculty.org
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086