Re: [swarm-hackers] tk tcl error

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] tk tcl error
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:27:29 -0800

On Feb 18, 2009, at 4:06 PM, Steve Railsback wrote:

Another thing I thought about trying is installing an up-to-date Tk/ Tcl and Blt3 (which I believe Marcus says is needed with newer Tk/Tcl). Do you think that might be worth trying?

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes going to a more recent version can cause more problems than it solves.

I did some googling of "MouseWheel tk.tcl" and found references to a Tk bug:

http://www.nabble.com/MouseWheel-binding-bug-in-listbox-and-text-widgets--td19863983.html

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2010422&group_id=12997&atid=112997

I see one workaround which is to comment out some lines in listbox.tcl and text.tcl, and another comment says to upgrade to Tk 8.5.4.

Apparently it is due to changes in the X11 Window Server.

You can try compiling Swarm against the more recent Tk/Tcl and BLT, maybe it will just work.

(I'm afraid I don't know how to un-install these packages like Tk/ Tcl and BLT!)

If you compiled from source, then go into the directory and do a "make uninstall" that usually removes

Scott