Re: [swarm-hackers] swarm 2.3.0 release

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] swarm 2.3.0 release
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:59:17 -0700

[...]

SC> I installed a completely new ubuntu 8.10 along with tcl/tk 8.4 and
SC> the blt-dev package.  Swarm fails to compile as it cannot find
SC> tcl8.5, so essentially the blt package on ubuntu does not support
SC> tcl8.4.  I suppose maybe this was a packaging decision, we could
SC> file a ubuntu bug and ask them to provide a 8.4 compatible
SC> package, or provide one ourselves.

SC> I'm not sure if moving Swarm to tcl/tk 8.5 is an easy or hard
SC> task.

Moving to tcl/tk 8.5 will be necessary, at least on Fedora, at some
point.  Rawhide (soon-to-be Fedora 11) just switched over to 8.5, I
believe.  I have been planning for sometime to submit official
packages for Swarm to Fedora, as I'm already maintaining several other
packages there:

 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Alexlan

Since it sounds like Paul Johnson has switched to Ubuntu, I'd be happy
to pick up the Fedora torch.  I can also be a conduit for any patches
for packages that Swarm depends on (e.g. blt).  I have commit access
to a wide number of packages and can work with the Fedora maintainers
to get patches into packages (an/or request co-maintainershiop of
those packages if the current Fedora maintainer is not responsive)
and/or upstreamed if necessary.

Alex