Re: [swarm-hackers] swarm 2.3.0 release

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] swarm 2.3.0 release
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 15:06:49 -0500

Alex Lancaster wrote:

> Which version(s) of blt is known to work with tcl/tk 8.5 (or tcl/tk
> 8.4)?  This will enable me to look into whether the Fedora blt package
> needs to be updated.  Looking at the Fedora build system, koji, it
> looks like it is blt-2.4z on F-9 through F-11:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1405

I've been doing some more checking and I believe the blt distributed
with Ubuntu 8.10 does not work. It segfaults when you try to run the
demo applications, and I don't know how to fix it.  Apparently, their
compile-o-magical approach to build blt both for tcl/tk 8.4 and 8.5 is
mistaken, somehow.

I've filed a bug report on the ubuntu site about it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/359857

In the meanwhile, I have built blt packages that are versioned so that
they can be installed and not damaged by the package updater.

Before I post those packages, can I ask a question?

I'm working with the packaging for Debian/Ubuntu that was created by one
of the Swarm users last year (Masayuki Hatta,
http://www.mhatta.org/debian/swarm).  He's pretty gung-ho about
complying with the Debian packaging guidelines, which,for one thing,
require we call the package "libswarm" and not just "swarm" and also we
can't have a directory /usr/etc/swarm, we have to have /etc/swarm. He
calls the package "libswarm0" and I don't know exactly why.

Anyway, are "we" Swarm people objecting against re-positioning files to
match the dictates of the distributions?  Are "we" objecting to calling
this libswarm?

Last time I asked, Chris said he would likely make a Debian swarm
package, and I'd be happy to just copy his packaging strategy. Hint Hint.

pj

Dept. of Political Science            http://pj.freefaculty.org
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504