[swarm-hackers] Swarm on MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: [swarm-hackers] Swarm on MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:51:43 +1000

I finally got around to trying to do a new MacOS build of Swarm. Sorry about the delay but as soon as the shoulder got well enough I had a much postponed knee repair and the pain killers were trashing my head.

As I am now armed with a spiffy new 8-core MacPro running Snow Leopard I am going for the full bleeding edge build.

I pulled down the current svn HEAD and tried building using Scott's Xcode project. After a few simple fixes I have a problem with the misc functions.

In particular src/misc contains replacements for a number of string.h functions including stpcpy.c. It seems that on Snow Leopard stpcpy() is a macro. So the preprocessor mangles stpcpy.c into:

char *
((__builtin_object_size (dest, 0) != (size_t) -1) ? __builtin___stpcpy_chk (dest, src, __builtin_object_size (dest, 2 > 1)) : __inline_stpcpy_chk (dest, src))
     char *dest;
     const char *src;
{
  register char *d = dest;
  register const char *s = src;

  do
  while (*s++ != '\0');

  return d - 1;
}

The compiler likes this not at all.

As a quick perusal of the remaining 1800+ build errors indicates that this is not the only similar issue. Is there some compelling reason not to use the OS provided functions?

Bill Northcott