Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm on MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard

From: Nima Talebi
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm on MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:16:04 +1100

Hi Scott,

Okay I have it working now without having to explicitly define SWARM_OSX in the Xcode project.  However my current concern is housekeeping - I don't want the fix to be a bandaid fix, so before I do any committing, I'd like your opinion on my approach...

I have modified configure.in and Makefile.in, and I have added a new file m4/acopenstep.m4,

 * Makefile.in simply includes m4/acopenstep.m4 as part of am__aclocal_m4_deps
 * m4/acopenstep.m4 defines a new AC_DEFUN, namely md_FIND_OPENSTEPLIB, which at the moment is identical to the md_GNUSTEPLIB from which it was cloned, the only difference being that it has added a -DSWARM_OSX. I'm not comfortable with all the GNUSTEP flags in there though - This may all already be a path down the wrong road.
 * Finally, the important change in configure.in (most changes I've made ended up being a cleanup of indentation and such to aid readability) is this block...

AC_ARG_ENABLE(
    openstep,
    [  --enable-openstep           Enable Swarm for use with OpenStep (GNUstep/Cocoal)],
    ,
    enable_openstep=no
)
if test "$enable_openstep" = "yes"; then
    md_FIND_OPENSTEPLIB
    echo "OpenStep (GNUstep/Cocoa) integration is enabled.  Skipping configuration of local libobjc."
    enable_libobjc=no
fi

So now, before any further work, I'd like your (and others if they like) feedback. :)

Nima