Re: [swarm-hackers] Re: Swarm, Heatbugs, and forEach loops...

From: Nima Talebi
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Re: Swarm, Heatbugs, and forEach loops...
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:59:31 +1100

I suppose the best option for now then is for applications to implement their own ADTs that can hide away the complexities, for example - the SwarmColony...

That way I don't have to worry about the internals once I've done with this class, and the framework can stay as-is....

Does anyone see any major flaws with this approach?

Nima

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Bill Northcott <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/11/2009, at 1:13 PM, Scott Christley wrote:
> This issue illustrates the fundamental question of how can Swarm support both its internal collections classes as well as the OpenStep collections at the same time.  I don't have a good answer for this.
> A third idea is to change the Swarm's List class to actually be implemented by an NSArray underneath.  Then programs using List will actually be using NSArray without knowing it.  Then additional methods would be added to the NSArray class so that it responds to List methods.  Then they could be used interchangeably.
>
> The last idea is probably the least intrusive but still might have quite a few challenges to make work correctly.

I am sort of not keen to mix OpenStep and Swarm Objective-C variants.  I think models and modellers need to stick with Swarm style.  A MacOS X GUI might be implemented in Cocoa, but having different implementations of the core simulation libraries with or without openstep leeds to a nasty can of worms.   Also why bother?

Again I see the comparison with R and its core functional programming library written in C but addons and GUIs using a multitude of APIs.

Bill